UGC REGULATIONS ON CURBING THE MENACE OF RAGGING IN HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS, 2009
(Under Section 26(1) (g) of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956)
CLAUSE :3 What Constitutes Ragging:
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- 1. Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing,treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
- 2. Indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance,hardship,physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
- 3. Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame,torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- 4. Any act by a senior student that prevents,disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
- 5. Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- 6. Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by fresher;
- 7. Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse,homosexual assaults,stripping,forcing obscene and lewd acts,gestures,causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- 8. Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also induce deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- 9. Any act that affects the mental health and self confidence of a fresher or any other student. With or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
CLAUSE:7 Action to be taken by the Head of the institution.
On receipt of the recommendation of the Anti Ragging squad or on receipt of any information concerning any reported incident of ragging, the Head of institution shall immediately determine if a case under the penal laws is made out and if so, either on his own or through a member of the Anti-Ragging Committee authorized by him in this behalf, proceed to file a First Information Report(FIR), within twenty four hours of receipt of such information or recommendation ,with the police and local authorities, under the appropriate penal provisions relating to one or more of the following, namely;
- 1. Abetment to ragging;
- 2. Criminal conspiracy to rag;
- 3. Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging;
- 4. Public nuisance created during ragging;
- 5. Violation of decency and morals through ragging;
- 6. Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt;
- 7. Wrongful restraint;
- 8. Wrongful confinement;
- 9. Use of Criminal force;
- 10. Assault as well as sexual offences or unnatural offences;
- 11. Extortion;
- 12. Criminal intimidation;
- 13. Offences against property;
- 14. Criminal trespass
- 15. Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s);
- 16. Objectives of Association : To enrich the communicative skills of students so that it helps them gain fluency in spoken English.Threat to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s);
- 17. Physical or psychological humiliation;
- 18. All other offences following from the definition of "Ragging".
Provided from that the Head of the Institution shall forthwith report the occurrence of the incident of ragging to the District Level Anti-Ragging Committee and the Nodal officer of the affiliating University, if the institution is an affiliated institution.
Provided further that the Institution shall also continue with its own enquiry initiated under clause 9 of these Regulations and other measures without waiting for action on the part of the police/local authorities and such remedial action shall be initiated and completed immediately and in no case later that a period of seven days of the reported occurrence opf the incident of raging.
CLAUSE 9 :Administrative action in the event of ragging.
9.1 The institution shall punish a student found guilty of ragging after following the procedure and in the manner prescribed herein under:
- a. The Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution shall take an appropriate decision,in regard to punishment or otherwise,depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging established in the recommendations of the Anti Ragging Squad.
- b. The Anti Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt established by the Anti Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely;
- Suspension from the attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship/fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the Institution in any regional,national or international meet,tournament,youth festival,etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to four semesters.>
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
Provided that where the persond committing or abetting the act of ragging are not identified,the institution shall resort to collective punsihment.
- c. An appeal against the order of punishment by the Anti Ragging Committee shall lie,
- Incase of an order of an institution, affiliated to or constituent part, of a University , to the Vice-Chancellor of the University
- In case of an order of a University , to its Chancellor.
- In case of an Institution of national importance created by an Act of parliment, to the Chairman or Chancellor of the Institution, as the case may be.
RAGGING IS PUNISHABLE
As per the orders of the Honourable Supreme Court of India, if any case of ragging comes to the notice of the authorities, the concerned student shall be given an opportunity of being heard,and if found guilty , would be expelled from the institution. No cases of ragging have been reported in the institution in the past years. However , as a preventive measure, a Ragging Prevention Squad with the following members has been constituted.
- 1. Mr. Sathyanarayana B - 9741968738
- 2. Mrs. Malathi K. - 9845666780
- 3. Dr.Prakash Rao A.- 9448027072
Online facility for RAGGING AFFIDAVITS
Prof. Raj Kachroo has setup a trust to monitor National Ragging Prevention programmed since January 2012 and has designed online application for submission of affidavits. As per the directions of UGC and Vice Chancellor of Mangalore University every student is required to submit Ragging Affidavit through online.